Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!


Salem Historical Register
Founded 1992
Salem, Marion County, Illinois




Salem Historical Register
Salem, Marion County, Illinois



       The Salem Historical Register was founded in 1992 by the Salem Historical-Patriotical Commission members, Stephen P.H. FRAKES, Chairman; Jay Dee JOHNSON; Rick McCULLUM; M. June MORRIS, Archivist; Sherry L. MORTON, Treasurer; and Jeannine E. RICHARDSON, Secretary.
       The Salem Historical Register was founded to help preserve the history of Salem that it has in its homes and buildings. To try to promote pride in Salem's history and spur interest in preserving the homes and buildings in Salem.
       Too many of Salem's beautiful old homes and buildings had already been torn down or remuddled to the point of no return. Some might say remodeled. We say remuddled.
       In 1992, the Commission placed eleven (11) homes / buildings on the Register. Each following year we will place two more homes or buildings onto the Register. Anyone may nominate a home or building to the Register.
       Stipulations:
       The House or Building must be at least 80 years of age.
       The House or Building must be in a good state of repair, or in the process of being renovated.
       The House or Building may be nominated for the following: Historical, Architectural, Archaeological significance to the City of Salem, in the County of Marion, in the State of Illinois.
       The house does not have to be a large two-story home. Any size may be nominated. There are many small older homes in Salem that are eligible for the Register.
       The owners of each property that is placed on the Register will receive a Certificate of Registration. The property will also receive a plaque, marking it as being on the Register, to remain with the property, even if sold.
Stephen P.H. Frakes
Chairman - 1992



Salem Historical Register
The List



The Property: The Bachmann House,
       Location of Property: 315 South Walnut.
       Year placed on the Register: 1992.
       Nominated by: Jeannine E. RICHARDS.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Adam H. and Mary (ALKIRE) BACHMANN.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Leon CHAPMAN.
       Reason for Nomination: Architectural and Historical value.
       Year house or building was built: 1904.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 88.
       Architectural Style: Victorian - Queen Anne.
       Historical / Archaeological information: Adam BACHMANN was founder of the Bachmann Furniture Store, which was still in business in 1992. He was president of the Salem National Bank and farmers and Merchants Bank of St. Peter. He was the largest land owner in Marion County at one time. The TELFORD family bought the home in 1930. They rented out rooms during the oil boom in 1939 and in the 1940's. CHAPMAN purchased the home in 1980 and renovated it to its original beauty, including the original parquet floors. It was one of the show places of Salem.




The Property: Badollet House.
       Location of Property: 310 North Washington.
       Year placed on the Register: 1992.
       Nominated by: Jay Dee JOHNSON.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Howard and Tabitha Jane (PACE) BADOLETT.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Brian D. and Patricia "Pat" (PIZZO) BAUER.
       Reason for Nomination: Architectural and Historical value.
       Year house or building was built: 1854.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 138.
       Architectural Style: Italianate Ornamentation - Classical Design.
       Historical / Archaeological information: The house was built in 1854 as the first brick home in Salem. The house was placed on the NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORICAL PLACES in December of 1990. John SCOPES lived in the house while going to Salem High School. He as defendant of the famous Scopes Monkey Trial in Dayton, Tennessee, and William Jennings BRYAN was the prosecuting attorney. Brian and Pat BAUER purchased the home in 1989 and began the task of renovating it to its original state. In 1988, Pat BAUER was one of two first women to be on the Salem City Council. Flora Jane McMACKIN as elected the same year.




The Property: Bryan Farm - Moore House.
       Location of Property: Bryan Lane.
       Year placed on the Register: 1996.
       Nominated by: Stephen P. H. FRAKES.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Judge Silas BRYAN.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Rick and Patti MOORE.
       Reason for Nomination: Historical value
       Year house or building was built: 1991 (1865).
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 5 (131).
       Architectural Style:
       Historical / Archaeological information: The Moore House was a new house built in the 1990's on the location of the original Bryan House at the end of Bryan Lane. The house was built of brick and style of a home built in the era of the original house. The bricks from the original house, which had burned down, were used for the circle drive at the house. Judge Silas BRYAN built the new house in 1865, moving his family to the farm, which was at that time out of town.




The Property: Bryan House.
       Location of Property: 408 South Broadway.
       Year placed on the Register: 1992.
       Nominated by: Stephen P. H. FRAKES.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Silas and Mariah Elizabeth (JENNINGS) BRYAN.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: City of Salem, Illinois.
       Reason for Nomination: Historical Value.
       Year house or building was built: 1852.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 140.
       Architectural Style: I-House.
       Historical / Archaeological information: William Jennings BRYAN was born in this home on the 19th of March, 1860. He lived there until he was 6 years old. William Jennings BRYAN was chosen as the Democratic candidate for President of the United States in the years 1896, 1900 and again in 1908. BRYAN served as Secretary of State in the administration of President Woodrow WILSON. BRYAN was prosecuting attorney at the famous "Scopes Monkey Trial" in Dayton, Tennessee in 1925, against John T. SCOPES, also from Salem, Illinois. Judge Silas BRYAN became a State Senator in 1856 and Judge in 1861.
       Web Page: The Bryan House




The Property: C.&E.I. Railroad Depot.
       Location of Property: East Main (State Highway 50).
       Year placed on the Register: 1995.
       Nominated by: Stephen P. H. FRAKES.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: "Catfish" RUSSELL.
       Reason for Nomination: Historical value
       Year house or building was built: 1910.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 85.
       Architectural Style: Prairie Style
       Historical / Archaeological information: The Depot was built in 1910 to replace the smaller wood-framed depot for the Chicago & Easter Illinois Railroad.




The Property: Easley House aka Luther B. Easley House.
       Location of Property: 521 East Main.
       Year placed on the Register: 1992
       Nominated by: Doris J. WHITTEN
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Luther B. EASLEY.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Mrs. Dolores MEADOR.
       Reason for Nomination: Archaeological & Historical Value.
       Year house or building was built:
       Age of house/building at time of nomination:
       Architectural Style: Prairie House.
       Historical / Archaeological information: The house was built on the original foundation of the first home built in Salem. Also, the Salem American Legion is named form Luther B. EASLEY.




The Property: Ferguson House.
       Location of Property: 513 North Marion.
       Year placed on the Register: 1997.
       Nominated by: .
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: .
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Gerald and Susan FERGUSON.
       Reason for Nomination: .
       Year house or building was built: .
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: .
       Architectural Style: .
       Historical / Archaeological information:




The Property: Farthing House.
       Location of Property: 306 South Franklin.
       Year placed on the Register: 1994.
       Nominated by: Stephen P.H. FRAKES.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Charles O. and Elsie M. FARTHING.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Jacquelynne Lee "Jackie" (CLOUD) WILLIAMS.
       Reason for Nomination: Architectural value.
       Year house or building was built: 1912.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 82.
       Architectural Style: Pyramidal Folk House / Equilateral Hipped Roof.
       Historical / Archaeological information: The house was typical of homes built between 1905 and 1909, however, they were more common in the southern states than in the northern states. In the north, they usually had a second story. In the south they had a single floor. The FARTHING family were early settlers in Marion County, coming from the south. The wrap-around porch was common for this style of home. Jackie WILLIAMS purchased the house in 1990, moving there from Las Vegas, Nevada and opening up a gift store down town names, Spreckles Blvd. She moved there with her grandmother who was in her 90's and was originally from Marion County, Illinois, Gayle (BASSETT) JONES, widow of Milburn JONES. Both from Foster Township. (The 2nd owner of the home was Dwight M. and Ada O. MORRIS (1912-1919); followed by Homer Devolkert and Dora Marie SMITH (1919-1971) They owned the home longer than anyone to this date. Homer died in 1960 and Marie in 1971; they were followed by Neil D. and Nina SMITH & Robert W. and Barbara (SMITH) CHILDRESS (1971-1972); followed by William N. and Helen B. SMITH (1972-1985); followed by Benton and Lois BURNS (1985-1990). There was another owner following Jackie WILLIAMS who owned it for a short time then the present owner in 2013 is Kara SELLERS.




The Property: Green House.
       Location of Property: 301 South Washington.
       Year placed on the Register: 1992.
       Nominated by: June MORRIS.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Dr. Thomas J. GREEN.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Jay Dee and Rae JOHNSON.
       Reason for Nomination: Architectural value.
       Year house or building was built: 1875.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 117.
       Architectural Style: Italinate.
       Historical / Archaeological information: The beautiful wood frame home was built for Dr. Thomas J. GREEN and his family. In 1992, the home belonged to the JOHNSON's who spent considerable time renovating the house to its original beauty.




The Property: Larimer Building aka D. W. Larimer Building.
       Location of Property: 104-106 North Washington.
       Year placed on the Register: 1992.
       Nominated by: Stephen P. H. Frakes.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: The Salem Republican (newspaper).
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: D. W. and Pat LARIMER.
       Reason for Nomination: Historical Value.
       Year house or building was built: 1871.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 121.
       Architectural Style:
       Historical / Archaeological information: The building was built for the Salem Republican newspaper. D. W. LARIMER purchased the building for his abstract business. LARIMER's son, D. W. LARIMER, Jr., took over the business. In 1992, Mark LARIMER, grandson of D. W.LARIMER, Sr. was still using the building for the abstract business. The LARIMER's renovated the building and also the building just to the north of them in 1992.




The Property: Lemen - Frakes House.
       Location of Property: 321 South Franklin.
       Year placed on the Register: 1992.
       Nominated by: Jeannine E. RICHARDS.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Rev. Benjamin F. and Mary Putnam (RAND) LEMEN.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Philip Howard and Monna Marilyn (CONANT) FRAKES.
       Reason for Nomination: Age and Historical value.
       Year house or building was built: 1842.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 150.
       Architectural Style: I-House with L addition.
       Historical / Archaeological information: Oldest home in Salem today, 2013, Rev. Benjamin F.LEMEN built the house for his new bride, Mary Putnam RAND, from a distinguished Colonial family of New Hampshire. The LEMEN's were friends of President Abraham LINCOLN, who visited them in the house on several occasions, one being in June of 1849. LINCOLN, of course, was not president at the time. Rev. LEMEN was appointed agent to the Indians during the Civil War by President LINCOLN. The LEMEN's daughter, Lydia Gertrude LEMEN, was married in this house on the 3rd of June 1879. She married Count John SOBIESKI, prince royal and heir to the throne of Poland.
       Web Page: The Lemen - Frakes House




The Property: Marion County Courthouse & Square.
       Location of Property: Courthouse Square at the northeast corner of Main and Broadway (Hwy. 50 and Hwy. 37).
       Year placed on the Register: 1993.
       Nominated by: Salem Historical-Patriotical Commission.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Marion County, Illinois.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Marion County, Illinois.
       Reason for Nomination: Historical and Architectural value.
       Year house or building was built: 1910.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 83.
       Architectural Style: Neo-Classical.
       Historical / Archaeological information: The present courthouse was built in 1910 as the 4th Marion County Courthouse on this same location. The 1st courthouse was a log building without any windows, built in 1824. It was 20 feet by 30 feet. The 2nd was a wood frame building that was built in 1837. The 3rd courthouse was constructed of brick in 1858-60. It was torn down and the present building was put in its place in 1910. The wood-frame building would have been the courthouse that was standing when Abraham LINCOLN was at the square giving a speech. It was there that he coined the phrase, "Tip-a-canoe and Tyler too," the slogan for William Henry Harrison and John TYLER. A cannon that was used in the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee during the Civil War is located in the courthouse. For years the cannon sat on the courthouse square, west side of the courthouse, but was taken into the courthouse in the 1980's for protection from the weather.
       Web Page: Marion County Genealogical & Historical Society




The Property: Martin House.
       Location of Property: 530 West Main (Hwy. 50).
       Year placed on the Register: 1992.
       Nominated by: M. June MORRIS.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Benjamin E. and Florida (CUNNINGHAM) MARTIN.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Mrs. Nancy POLLARD.
       Reason for Nomination: Historical and Architectural value.
       Year house or building was built: 1875.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 117.
       Architectural Style: Victorian with Italianate influence.
       Historical / Archaeological information: B. E. MARTIN was a prominent citizen of Salem. He was first in the drug business and later wholesale seeds. He was stock holder and director of the Salem National Bank. He was a soldier in the Union Army during the Civil War. The home is beautiful and sits prominently at the top of South Franklin Avenue, on Main. A great-grandson of B. E. MARTIN was Anthony Martin KEATING, who became Governor of the State of Oklahoma. (Note: Unfortunately, The Martin House was torn down in 2009 by people who do not respect Salem's history.)




The Property: McMackin House.
       Location of Property: 413 North Broadway (State Highway 37).
       Year placed on the Register: 1994.
       Nominated by: Doris WHITEEN.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: .
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Flora Jane McMACKIN.
       Reason for Nomination: Historical value.
       Year house or building was built: .
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: .
       Architectural Style: .
       Historical / Archaeological information: In 1994, when this home was added to the Salem Historical Register, Flora Jane McMACKIN was still living there. After her death, the family sold them home and was turned into a restaurant named "The McMACKIN House". Today, 2013, it is a business.
       The 1st Mayor of Salem was a McMACKIN. After him there were 4 more McMACKIN mayors. They are all as follows:
             Colonel Warren E. McMACKIN (1865-)
             Charles Lincoln McMACKIN, Sr. (1905-1906)
             James Ernest "Whoopy" McMACKIN, Sr. (1919-1922)
             Omar James McMACKIN (1935-1943)
             Charles Lincoln McMACKIN, II (1971-1975; 1979-1984)
             In 1988, Flora Jane (GIBSON) McMACKIN, wife of Charles Lincoln McMACKIN, II, was elected as one of the two first women to be elected to the Salem City Council. (The other, who was elected at the same time, was Patricia BAUER.




The Property: Salem City Hall.
       Location of Property: 101 South Broadway (SW corner of Hwy 50 and Hwy 37).
       Year placed on the Register: 1992.
       Nominated by: Stephen P. H. Frakes.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Salem National Bank.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: City of Salem, Illinois.
       Reason for Nomination: Architectural value.
       Year house or building was built: 1906.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 86.
       Architectural Style: Commercial Italianate / Beaux-Art.
       Historical / Archaeological information: The building served as the Salem National Bank from 1906, when it was built, until 1964, when the City of Salem purchased the building, making it Salem City Hall. It is one of the most architecturally significant buildings in Salem. The 3rd floor originally served as the Masonic Hall.
       Web Page: City of Salem




The Property: Salem Creamery Company.
       Location of Property: 401 North Jefferson.
       Year placed on the Register: 1993.
       Nominated by: Stephen P. H. Frakes.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Salem Creamery Company - Dwight W. Larimer.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Brian D. and Patricia (PIZZO BAUER.
       Reason for Nomination: Historical value.
       Year house or building was built: 1906.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 87.
       Architectural Style: Brick Colonial Revival wit gabled roof.
       Historical / Archaeological information: Directors of Creamery: B. E. MARTIN, Jr.; J. J. RHOADS; C. A. PORTWER; H. R. STEVENSON; T. C. KAGY; Orval HOPKINS; H.J. SMITH; W. J. MARTIN; H. V. FANKBONER. The building was originally a creamery and later made into a home for Mr. Fred BENKE, Salem's well known photographer. At time of nomination in 1993, it was the Salem Frame Company and also the location of the first Bed-and-Breakfast in Salem, which opened in 1993.




The Property: Squibb House.
       Location of Property: 1021 West Elm Street.
       Year placed on the Register: 1992.
       Nominated by: Mayor Leonard FERGUSON.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Mr. & Mrs. Elmer H.SQUIBB.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Robert and M. June (HOLSAPPLE) MORRIS.
       Reason for Nomination:
       Year house or building was built: 1908.
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: 84.
       Architectural Style:
       Historical / Archaeological information: The house was built by Elmer H. SQUIBB on the edge of Salem, at that time. His granddaughter, June (HOLSAPPLE) MORRIS, and her husband now own the house and are renovating it.




The Property: Salem State Bank Building.
       Location of Property: 100 West Main (State Highway 50).
       Year placed on the Register: 1995.
       Nominated by: Sherry MORTON.
       Name of original owner of the house / building / property: Salem State Bank.
       Name of owner at time of being placed on the Register: Jeannell GASTON.
       Reason for Nomination:
       Year house or building was built: .
       Age of house/building at time of nomination: .
       Architectural Style:
       Historical / Archaeological information: This 3-story building was built as the Salem State Bank. After the bank moved out, it was several different businesses, including Walgreen's Drug Store and Topper's.





Note: I left the Salem Historical-Patriotical Commission in 1997 and do not have their records available to me. I was told there are no records for the Historical Register and that it no longer exists. I had copies of some of the information and was able to piece a lot of it together with the minutes of the meetings, which I always kept a copy of, but some things I just don't know and have yet to find the answers for.


Salem, Illinois Links


Home Page for Salem, Illinois


Salem Historical Drive
With Map


The following link will take you to our
Salem Yahoo Group

Click here to join SalemIL
Click to join SalemIL

You will find photo albums of Salem and Salem people. There are family genealogies in the files section. Chat is also available for those who wish to chat with other Salem people or family genealogists.




Press Here to go to Route 50 Web Page


Copyright © 2004-2017 Stephen P. H. Frakes All rights reserved.